The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) is a public research university located in Hung Hom, Hong Kong. The history of PolyU can be traced back to 1937. It became a fully accredited university and one of the government-funded degree-granting tertiary institutions in 1994.
PolyU consists of 8 faculties and schools, offering programmes covering applied science, business, construction, environment, engineering, social science, health, humanities, design, hotel and tourism management.
The Government Trade School was founded in 1937. Situated at Wood Road, Wan Chai, the school was the first publicly funded, post-secondary technical institution in Hong Kong. After World War II, the school became the Hong Kong Technical College in 1947, and opened new premises in Hung Hom in 1957.
In 1972, the Hong Kong Polytechnic was formally established. Its mandate was to provide professional-oriented education to meet the need for qualified workers. It gained approval from the University and Polytechnic Grants Committee (UGC) for self-accreditation of degree programmes on 25 November 1994, granting full university status and changing its name to The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.